Monday, October 20, 2008

Disturbia

Yesterday I was working at my second job (the day shelter) and I was completely and utterly disturbed. I deal with people from all walks of life. Convicted felons, the homeless, teenage parents, drug addicts and so forth. Me myself not having children of my own yet....I have an undying affection for children. Yesterday while working, I became disturbed with a young lady that I know very well that is a regular at the shelter. Being only 24 she has had 2 children and now pregnant with baby # 3. The first child was removed from her care and adopted out because she was labeled an unfit parent, the second child she let the father have because she knew that she couldn't deal with the baby and she wasn't ready to be a parent. I was upset with her when she said that she was pregnant again. I asked her what she was going to do and why wasn't she on birth control. Her response is what disturbed and frustrated me. #1 She says that she got pregnant because it was something to do 2# She wasn't on birth control because it doesn't work and she didn't feel like being on it. Okay now I'm sure if you are reading this your face is as twisted up as the look I gave her. I told her that she must be joking......and she said no I'm totally serious....and I knew she was. Then she asked me if I wanted to adopt her baby after she has it. OMG are you serious!!!!! Was my response. Did I mention that she was heading outside to smoke a cigarette? Is she crazy or just plain stupid? I become so distraught, disturbed and frustrated with her. #1 Because I absolutely love and adore children and secondly because she is carrying a child that she clearly doesn’t want and was not asked to be born. I am tired of women especially black women who are having babies and rely on someone else to take care of them. I am mainly referring to the repeat offenders. Those who keep having these babies out of spite thinking that they are going to keep a man by getting pregnant. Along with the ones who are too lazy to get up and get a job or go to school……..so they keep having babies because that equals more "assistance" from the state government for them. So I am paying taxes to support their lazy asses!!!! WTF!? I am just beyond pissed. This has become an ongoing cycle and it appears to be a new trend for "some" black women and women period. It really makes the rest of us good, hardworking, independent, strong black women....look bad. It's the children that I feel sorry for. If I could take all of the children and save them I would. A lot of it has to do with a person’s upbringing. If you were raised in a dysfunctional and unstable environment....it increases the chance of you too being the same way. I always try to teach and motivate those same youth by telling them that they don't have to be a victim of their circumstances. That they too can break that cycle and do anything they put their mind to do. Where did we go wrong……and When is it ever going to end?

No comments: