Friday, March 6, 2009

The Essence of Me

"The true essence of a woman is her ability to share her love with others"
I'd like to compare myself to a chameleon because I can easily adapt to any environment or situation in which I am placed. Ok so that doesn't necessarily make me different or any better than the next woman...but I know my my self worth. I am a woman with high self esteem and I am confident in all that I do. I don't need a man to be strong or justify who I am or what I am capable of. I am more driven than the average woman and the word "no" is just not acceptable in my vocabulary. Although being a double jeopardy, because of my sex and race I'm still a goal oriented woman with style and confidence. I have endured many triumphs in the past and present, yet I don't let that stop me from climbing to the top. I know where I come from and that is something I will never forget. So why is it that men always say they want a woman who can hold her own.....but choose to run after women who lack confidence, independence and self esteem. I know that I am a true D.I.V.A. (Divine, Intelligent, Versatile, Attribute). I love the poem "Phenomenal Woman" by Maya Angelou because it defines the true beauty of a woman. The true beauty of a woman is what lies beneath. A phenomenal woman is a woman who is confident and sure of herself. She is loving, caring, kind hearted and true. This poem defines who I am as a woman because I have much more to offer than what's on the exterior. There is a Phenomenal Woman that exists in each and everyone one of us. You must first look in the mirror and introduce yourself to her.


"Phenomenal Woman"
Pretty women wonder where my secret lies
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing of my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them,
They say they still can't see.
I say It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
The palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

No comments: